Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Tale of Four Teeth

So, last Friday I went to the dentist, just for a check up and to see what he had to say about my wisdom teeth. He didn't seem terribly concerned about them, but then did see that the one is coming through the gum. So he gave me a referral to an oral surgeon, since he (dentist) could have done at least the one, but probably not all four, and why do it in two waves if you can just get in and get done once. I call the oral surgeon's office yesterday, they're of course only open til 5 mon-fri. The lady says "I have an appointment tomorrow at 4:45; that's about the latest we can get you in." Works well enough. I didn't take a lunch today and left half an hour early. Got there, filled out that form they make people fill out everywhere in any doctor's office EVER. They called me back, I got a fun panoramic x-ray taken, then got to watch a fun DVD about wisdom teeth removal, then had to take the x-ray again because the film wasn't right on the first one. Then after a few minutes the surgeon comes in, tells me stuff I already heard on the DVD about the procedure and risks and whatnot, tells me that my teeth look pretty run-of-the-mill and that it'd take about 20 minutes to do. (20 minutes? I was thinking 45 at least, so cool.) He asks if I have any questions. I bring up my concerns regarding cost and my un-dental-insured self. He tells me they can give me a little break regarding cost. (Sweet.)

Then the...payment guy? comes in to talk to me and give me the estimate. First he gave me the breakdown, and the total it'd be, and then showed me what they would charge me with a discount since I'm paying out of pocket by myself. It's a lot less than what I was expecting. Like, close to $1000 less. And they're letting me pay some up front (the day I go in), and then spread out the rest over six months. (They told me normally they only go up to 30 days, but because I'm young and poor and uninsured, they'll do six months for me. They probably say that to everyone, but whatever.) I'm feeling much better about everything. Now, I'm still not sure - in the long run, it might be cheaper if I got dental insurance now, waited the required year or whatever, then got it done, even after having to pay for insurance for a year, but for peace of mind, I'd rather get it done and out of the way sooner than later. Especially since that one is coming in. And, for some reason, tonight another one is starting to feel sore when I put pressure on it (with my tongue), so of course I keep putting pressure on it. I don't know if it's a mental thing, or a coincidence, or something else, but I'll just be happy to have it over and done with. Preferably sans dry socket, because that doesn't sound fun.

Anyway. There. That's my story. Now I just have to figure out when I want to do it (a Friday, I'm thinking), and get it scheduled. And get through the paranoid fears of being OD'd on anesthesia and never waking up. I may just have to get me to confession prior to the surgery, just in case. Now that's the kind of insurance you can bet your life on. Sort of. :-)

Mom said I should see if I can schedule it for Feb. 13. I'm planning on doing it on a Friday, so I can have the weekend to recover. And that way I can be all doped up and out of it that I won't care that no one loves me yet again on Valentine's Day. Haha.

So anyway. I'm sure I'll keep everyone posted. All three of you. None of whom really care about this anyway...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I forgot to ask you about this tonight. I forgot... But you know what? I'm glad you sound a little more calm about the whole situation and that the payment plan seems very doable. What will the whole cost end up being? Just so you know, getting insurance will probably not help you much because most dental insurance has a ridiculously low annual maximum (ours is $1000 a year that they'll pay. Blah.) so since they're already discounting it for you, you probably won't be saving much more by getting insurance. Plus you'd have to wait, and it's better just to get it over with.

Susie said...

They quoted me at under $1400. So, not terrible. I'm pretty sure I have more than that much saved up right now (at least, before bills that I have to pay this month). Maybe even after bills I have to pay. So yeah, not as awful as I feared, thankfully.

Kaleena said...

Yay! Good luck with the real deal!

Samantha said...

hey! wow about the teeth.. i just had a dental mishap this week too. i moved my blog.. people were getting on my nerves (in real life)
so please change my link!
samanthalfs.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Uhh...Friday the 13th? Hope you're not superstitious! Naw, I'm sure it will be fine.